On Monday Broadway against Bullying returned to San Francisco atFeinstein’s at the Nikko Hotel. Produced by two-time Tony and Grammy Award nominated producer and internationally acclaimed Music Director and Pianist, Michael Moritz, Jr. and featuring stars from some of Broadway’s biggest musical hits, this one night engagement brought much deserved support to No Bully’s campaign to end bullying in schools.
The audience was welcomed to the show by the MC for the night, Alysha Umphress, and No Bully’s CEO, Nicholas Carlisle. Each artist introduced their piece by sharing how No Bully’s mission has touched them. The Spiro sisters explained, “When you travel the path less traveled, it’s a very lonely road, especially when you’re in the 8th grade” and told how their encounters with bullying led them to find their love of music. Jenna Pasqua recounted a heartwarming story of what she had gone through in her childhood that led her to become an advocate for ending bullying in schools, and gave this advice: “It’s hard to see when you’re going through it, but things can change.”
We were lucky to have Douglas Lyons, part of the team that wrote “Polkadots: The Cool Kids Musical”. He explained that the musical tried to teach kids that everyone should be treated equally. “If we can catch them young, we can change lives,” he said.
The playlist was
- “I Don’t Need Anything” – Alysha Umphress and Jay Johnson
- “Never Away/Ten Minutes” – Alysha Umphress and Jay Johnson
- “Sideshow Medley” – the Shapiro Sisters (Milly and Abigail Shapiro)
- “The First” – Polkadots (Paige Mayes and Jennifer Apple)
- “Taught” – Polkadots (Jennifer Apple)
- “Invisible” – Brett Boles*
- “Flashlights” – Natalie Tenenbaum*
- “You Are No Mistake” – Brett Boles*
- “Just You” – Carly and Martina Spiro*
- “Bluebird” – Carly and Martina Spiro*
- “There Will Be A Miracle” – Andy Mientus
- “Runaways” – Andy Mientus and Elysia Jordan
- “Around the Corner” – Elysia Jordan and Jenna Pasqua*
- “Somebody to Love” – Alysha Umphress
- “Sticks and Stones” – Polkadots (Paige Mayes)
- “My Friend” – Jenna Pasqua*
- “Swim” – Elysia Jordan
*These performances were written by the artists.